This a great example of a WWII Quonset surplus hut adapted into and made into a comfortable home.
Quonset huts were manufactured by a wide range of independent contractors in countries around the world but the first were manufactured in 1941, when the US Navy needed an all-purpose, lightweight building that could be shipped anywhere and assembled without skilled labor. The United States Navy entered into a contract with the George Fuller construction company to manufacture them. The first was produced within 60 days of contract award.
The original design was a 16 ft × 36 ft (5 m × 11 m) structure framed with steel members with an 8 ft (2.4 m) radius, The sides were corrugated steel sheets. The two ends were covered with plywood,which had doors and windows. The interior was insulated and had pressed wood lining and a wood floor. The building could be placed on concrete, on pilings, or directly on the ground with a wood floor.
The original design used low grade (non-strategic) steel, which was later replaced by a more rust-resistant version. The United States used an all-spruce ‘Pacific Hut’ in the in World War II.
The most common design created a standard size of 20 ft × 48 ft (6 m × 15 m) with 10 ft (3 m) radius allowing 960 square feet (67 m²) of usable floor space, with optional four-foot (1.2 m) overhangs at each end for protection of entrances from the weather. Other sizes were developed, including 20 ft × 40 ft (6 m × 12 m) and 40 ft × 100 ft (12 m × 30 m) warehouse models.
Check out Jackson Ave, Flicker St. and Scott Ave for lots more Quonset huts in Memphis….